+ What is semi-permanent makeup?A form of micropigmentation (permanent makeup). Specially formulated pigment is deposited superficially into the skin with a single sterile needle. It is a soft layering technique that gives ultimate control to the artist to create the most natural looking powdered brow.
+ What is the difference between semi-permanent and permanent makeup?
- Pigment is deposited deeper into the dermal layer of the skin using a minimum of 3 prong needle. It is a more aggressive application resulting in more pain and potential scarring.
- Can last between 5-10 years. The results are harsh and indelibly irreversible.
- Due to the body's chemistry (acidity) of the of the skin there is a high chance of pigment to gradually change colors.
- Pigments are deposited very superficially into the skin using only a single prong needle.
- Can last between 1-3 years. Touch ups are necessary to maintain color vibrancy and shape definition.
- Pigment is deposited between the epidermis and the dermis therefore the pigment will fade as your skin naturally exfoliates.
- Color will lighten and fade out before it has a chance to change to a primal color (blue or red).
+ How long does it last?
There is no exact answer to how well the pigment may last. It always depends on factors such as skin type, lifestyle and desired results. - Skin type is a factor in that the skin is the canvas to which holds the pigment. Any extreme such as extra dry skin or extra oily skin will not hold the pigment as well as a person with normal skin. - Lifestyle factors are exercise or types of skincare regimens will expel the pigment sooner. - Desired results such as darker colors will retain longer and lighter colors such as blondes will fade faster. We recommend a touch up every 12- 18 months to keep the color vibrant and keep the shape symmetrical.
+ What if I don't touch up? Will it look weird?
No it will just fade out. It will first shrink in size as in gets thinner and shorter. The color will get dull and lose vibrancy, but won't look unnatural. The more touch ups applied the longer it will stay in the skin.
+ How many sessions are needed?
The initial procedure requires two sessions 6 weeks apart. The first session consists of consultion, drawing, application. The 6 weeks will be for healing. Even though it may appear to be healed after the first week, we need to make sure the layers of skin is healed as well. In the second session, we will see how well the pigment adapts to the skin and will perfect your desired brow results without compromising the integrity of the skin. The skin on our face is very delicate and needs to be treated with care.
+ What factors will affect my semi-permanent makeup?
- Constant STEAM! This means HOT showers! Frequent hot showers will cause premature fading as well as premature AGING. Hot showers are great but need to be taken once a month not everyday or every other day especially not more than two times a day. It causes inflammation and cellular breakdown. You will save on all of the expensive skin care, facials, potential plastic surgeries if you can try to refrain from constant hot steam showers.
- An active lifestyle with swimming, constant sweating, and/or saunas will cause premature fading.
- Oily skin type
+ Is there anything I need to let Brow Theory Studio know before I book?
YES! PLEASE CONSULT WITH US BEFORE BOOKING YOUR APPOINTMENT IF YOU HAVE ANY OF THE FOLLOWING…
- Have previously done permanent makeup
- Are on any prescription medication that may thin your blood
- Problematic skin-type that is constantly compromised (i.e. breakouts)
- Pregnant or nursing
- Cancer and undergoing chemotherapy or radiation
- Any bacterial/viral infection or on antibiotics
- Botox/ Fillers and/or any chemical peels of any kind must be avoided 4 weeks prior and 4 weeks after your follow up. This also includes laser treatments of any kind.
Failure to let us know prior to booking will result in loss of your deposit.
+ What should I do to prepare for my appointment?
In order to maximize your visit for a smoother appointment, please DO NOT..
- Wax or tint your brows
- Sunbathe, tanning salon
- Drink caffeine or alcohol for 24 hours prior
- Take blood thinners such as aspirin, vitamin E, Niacin, Ibprophen
- Excercise 24 hours prior
For more detailed information, please take a look at our PRECARE page.
+ What should I expect during my appointment?
- We start off with a discussion regarding your desired brow shape and color preference. Your bone structure and lifestyle will play a huge role in determining the best suitable shape. We will give you at least 2 options to choose from. This usually takes about 25-35 min. Once we are both completely satisfied, we will go inside to a private treatment room where you'll be laying down for about an hour.
- It will be a scheduled 2 hour appointment (actual procedure will be 30 min on each side)
+ Will it hurt?
A good rule of thumb is if tweezing hurts, then your skin will be sensitive to this procedure. A topical medical grade lidocaine is applied to help with any discomfort. Most clients claim it to be more of an annoyance than painful.
+ What is the downtime and healing process?
Expect to leave your appointment with your brows looking solid and darker. Ointment (provided) has to be consistently applied for 7 days. No swimming, sauna, HOT steam showers, excessive sweating, anything where you're immersed in water. Yes! You will have dark and shiny brows! And it will be completely worth it! After a week it will fade 50% in color and 25% in thickness. Please look into our AFTERCARE for more detailed instructions.
+ Non-refundable deposit
A non-refundable and non-transferable deposit is required in order to reserve your appointment time upon scheduling. The deposit will be credited toward the procedure fees on the day of your appointment. This also applies to touch-up procedures. To be respectful of our clients, we wish to accurately provide the earliest appointment available. This is in consideration of our clients booking subsequently.
+ Cancellation and rescheduling
Please note that cancellation will result in a loss of deposit. If you need to postpone or reschedule your appointment, please notify us at least 7 days in advance of your appointment. You are allowed to reschedule once. If you fail to reschedule your appointment, a redeposit will be required for a future booking. The total deposit amount will be credited towards your procedure.
+ Late and no shows
We allow a 15 minute grace period from the start of your appointment. If you miss this window, we will have to reschedule as there will not be enough time to complete the procedure. Your deposit will be forfeited and any future appointments will require a redeposit.
+ Children and guests
Please no children. Guests are permitted but are not allowed in the procedure room.